If you are seeing an error message stating that a website is not approved, this can usually be fixed easily.
The LearnPad Browser works on a whitelisting basis, to help teachers maintain focus in the classroom. This means that when the tablet is locked into student mode
, students can only visit websites that have been added to the Lesson Profile or Toolbox. However, this can sometimes be too restrictive.
Open up access to the whole site
To give students wider access and prevent the 'not approved' error message from appearing, follow these steps:
1. Log in to the ClassConnect portal.
2. Click Resources on the left, under the CONTENT heading.
3. Search for the website Resource that is showing the error.
4. Click the text under that Resource to enter its management page.
5. In the Actions box on the right, click Update Whitelist.
6. The Update Whitelist action will add the beginning part of the website address into the Whitelist URLs field, as shown:
This means that students will now be able to access any site that begins with this text. Usually, this means that all pages within that site are accessible. Any links to external sites will not be permitted.
Add further whitelisting manually
If you need students to be able to click links to other sites, you can always add this to the Whitelist URLs field manually.
1. Click the pencil next to Whitelist URLs on the Resource management page, to begin editing the field:
2. Adding each entry onto a new line using the Enter key, type the URL of the domain you would like students to access. For example, if you wanted students to be able to follow a link to a page on the NASA website, you might enter the following:
3. To save this entry, just click away from the field.
Creating and managing website Resources
Website Resources are Resources that link to web pages. They help pupils to work independently and maintain focus by taking them directly to sites that their teacher requires, avoiding the distractions of the wider Internet. i Finding the URL of a ...
Creating and Managing Website Resources
April 14, 2014 Overview Website Resources are Resources that link to web pages. They help pupils to work independently and maintain focus by taking them directly to sites that their teacher requires, avoiding the distractions of the wider Internet. ...
April 16, 2014 If you have followed the instructions for connecting to Wi-Fi but are experiencing problems, please follow the instructions below for a solution. If none of these solutions help, please contact us directly for assistance. You might ...
Troubleshooting BBC Bitesize websites
If you've added a BBC Bitesize Learner Guide or video as a website Resource, you may find the following occurs when you lauch the Resource on a LearnPad and try to play a video on the page: A message appears stating Android application ...
April 14, 2014 Resources are the building-blocks of your LearnPad lessons. A resource can be a whole document editing application or just a single photograph. The Content area contains a range of pre-prepared content which you can select, or you can ...